Friday, July 8, 2011

Of Social Media et all


My first peek into social media was through Yahoo and I discovered yahoo chat rooms and the ever faithful messenger; needless to say, I met a lot of weirdos and since I had watched a considerable amount of telly, well, I was wary of sexual predators and of the ever looming identity thieves, though I doubt now I had much to worry about the later since I had exactly nothing but clothes to my name, and even those were debatable since my cousins pretty much owned half of them....i made some good friends from yahoo, and we'd be in the same cyber but chatting it was glorious, knowing that I could reach people all over, so I started e-mailing my cousins in the states (why do we say this?) because the time difference would not allow for much chatting and then I discovered Google mail and HI5 and then Facebook and much more recently, Twitter. (I also have a Myspace!! * hides in shame *)

So now that I have given a rundown on that, I want to get to what made me take that stroll [memory lane] I recently realized that most of the friends I have and I enjoy “spending” time with, I do not really know and I have not met but I feel like they are family, like I have known them for the longest time. In the same light, I started thinking if this is the way we are now living, I sit at a table with my friends but we find it easier to tweet that to have an actual conversation and if we do have a conversation, social media will come up, ”....so last night I was on Twitter and this guy...OMG, he has such a hot avi!”

Most of our lives is spent online and it seems, the only way you can meet people is if you do it online.
I don't know any people who have met online and became a “thing” but I know quite a few people who have met and hooked up from facebook and twitter, and by that I mean, had sex.

Is this the new dating scene? And more importantly, would you date someone you met online?

Don't get me wrong, but if you hit on me and I haven't had a decent conversation with you or “known” you for more than a month [daily conversations] then I will not give you the time of day!
Given, I am a ridiculous flirt and I WILL lead you on because sometimes I get bored and anywhere I can catch a thrill, even a cheap one, then I take it! And maybe I will even set up a date with you, but you need to know that I am very intricate with my schemes and that I am a conniving B* who will sit with you just so I can watch you get ideas [that I will help build] into your skull and then walk away, that is just me; a thrill seeker...but maybe its because I have yet to meet that one person who will impress me just as much in person as they do in cyber space because most people are brilliant online but are a total disappointment in person, they just don't measure up.

Even though “this isn't America” where we are told of oh, so many online sexual predators, there is always the risk that some sick bastard somewhere has discovered that there are so many needy people out there [and we are needy, what, with “adding/accepting/following”] and it would be like a kid in a candy store for this predator; I sure am glad Onyancha never did a cyber thing!
And now that I actually have something to my name, I am scared of identity thieves, and am still afraid that someone will try to dupe me, and not those “Nigerian Princes” who have fake ass accounts that need someone else {read, 'me'} to access them.

Cyber space is a wonderful addition to my life, I have met great minds, hilarious people and made some awesome (a few weird ones too) friends, but I am still wary of it because, the machines have really taken over...

I will be back. Asta la vista, baby. * in Schwarzenegger's voice *

3 comments:

  1. I am a ridiculous flirt and I WILL lead you on because sometimes I get bored and anywhere I can catch a thrill, even a cheap one, then I take it! .......Lol. Pity those who have fallen for you while on B***h mode

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Given, I am a ridiculous flirt and I WILL lead you on because sometimes I get bored and anywhere I can catch a thrill, even a cheap one, then I take it! " -Gosh,you are a naughty girl! Anyway, good post. I wrote something almost similar earlier in the year on my blog...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Otieno.
    Lizz, well, you know me...

    ReplyDelete