Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Of Relationships and Happiness

I met this guy recently and we “clicked” and now, when I don’t want to kill him, we are inseparable. Ok. I just lied. But seriously.



Some time ago, during our more quiet meetings, we were actually grabbing lunch, I asked him why he had gotten married and he went quiet.
First, you have to understand, when I get very “familiar” with someone, no subject is taboo. So as far as I was concerned, I wasn’t crossing any lines drawn in the sand. I stared him down waiting for an answer. This is one of those things that I have great patience for.
He told me that she needed him…….




Forgive my pause. But when I actually decide that I want to spend the rest of my life waking up to your face, it had better be for a reason that I made, and that is selfish. Like: because you are the prettiest thing in the morning; or ‘coz I couldn’t imagine life without you…. Not, in all of my ‘wisdom’ would it be because of the fact that “you ‘need’ me”, oh, no!



I think at that point I either looked at him with pity or I dint pick my jaw off the table fast enough, because he had a very pained look on his face, like I was supposed to have understood his reasoning. I am a good friend. I am even great, sometimes. I will let you call me your “boy”, curves and all. But. And I tress this. Under no circumstances, save death, will I support some decisions.



I have another pal who was in a relationship that saddened him so and made us, his friends, gag at the mention of his girlfriends name. Throughout all of our friendship, we had met his girlfriend twice and it was by accident and she did not seem very pleased by it.
Maybe it’s just me, but when you are dating someone, shouldn’t you want to try and get to know his friends? Their names at least, for conversation’s sake?
It got so bad we even offered to break up with her for him because he was with her ‘coz he dint want to be the one to end the relationship, toxic as it was. [I am still of the feeling that he just dint have the balls to do it]



Well, the inevitable happened. He cheated. We encouraged it. He was happy, for crying out loud! We would have paid for a hotel room even. We also liked the new girl who knew our names and faces and she took the ribbing from us without breaking a sweat and gave back just as hard.
Toxic was dumped via text, ouch! But, surely, she must have seen it coming. We supported his [read: ‘our’] decision wholly, even helped him draft the text.



Thing is, I still do not understand why anyone would be in a relationship where they weren’t happy. Nope. I do not.
I’m happy, I make you happy. If I aint happy, well, you bet my miserable tush that I will make your world a horrible place to be in. I am just saying.



For whatever reason people get into relationships, I think they are mostly selfish and that is why they are successful to whatever level. But when one side is losing out, I start to wonder. And shake my head. And suppress the urge to go upside your head. Only if you are my friend, though. It does not befit me to go around hitting people; that is for crazies.



I like being single, for now, and apart from the fact that I do not have to answer to anyone but me, and I can flirt, guilt free; I get to be selfish [even though my puppy has taken over my life]. But as it is, I decide what guilt free reason gets to make me happy.





No comments:

Post a Comment