Thursday, August 12, 2010

Lessons

Now I have been thinking things through, when I say that, I have this serious look on my face like I actually achieved something from the experience, well, I did not achieve anything.
I ended up smiling my way through most of the stuff I thought about.
I was thinking about something that my friend said, which, I think, he has never thought about! He said, “Everything happens for a reason”.
When he said this, the only thing I could think of was,
“Heck no!!!”
This was because, and I know you will all, ok, most of you, will agree with me, that what happened to you in school and at home when you were younger was mostly uncalled for! (Here, I laugh!) Because I believe, now I do, back then, I was baying for blood, thinking, wait till I grow up, I will so get back at you!!
Where was I? Oh, yeah, I was saying that now I understand why what happened back then, happened.
Who am I kidding? I still don’t get some of them. Let me give you an example….

There was this time, seems like so long ago, and we had carrots in the garden, still young and juicy and oh, so sweet. I don’t know what it is about being a kid but you think everything you do is a mistake! So in the same spirit, we would furtively look to see if anyone was in the rooms with windows facing the garden and then we would run to the garden, pull a carrot out of the ground and then go and hide by the gate and eat the thing with bits of soil that we couldn’t manage to brush off, we did this several other times and we were happy as sin thinking that we were getting away with this.

Unbeknownst (who ever uses this word?!) to us, the adult in the house had been audience to all our doings and she was devising (all adults do this, they devise new ways everyday of making kids lives unbearably difficult) a way of making us pay for our “sins”.

She walked out of the house with a wash basin of water, laid it by the carrot patch and called us over, we go, all innocent and she tells us that she dint feel like cooking that day because we were the only reason she was going to do that anyway but since we had given her an alternative, she was glad.
We look at her like she dropped a screw on her way to the garden but she smiles and tells us to sit there, and clear the whole patch! Now, this seemed like a small feat and we sat down with glee and got down to chomping.

Well those of you who have been kids before know that you cannot, absolutely cannot eat that many carrots and soon, we were full and our jaws hurt.
She sat there looking at us and waited, I have to give her this, she was bloody patient!

Long story short, we weren’t able to clear the carrot patch and we all got beaten up! What for? I still do not understand! And I do not know what the moral of the experience was and I still think adults are put on this earth to make children’s lives miserable.
Hey, wait, I am an adult now, I wonder if my nephew or niece or kids will write about me too….

Have a lesson filled day, wont you?

1 comment: